Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mass Transit? Not in Vermont...



As oil prices continue to rise ($4.10 a gallon the last time I put gas in my car--I can't say "filled the tank," because I couldn't afford to) I keep searching for a solution that would allow me to get to where I need and want to go, but still have some sort of green in my wallet. Most internet sources tell you to "ride the bus or walk," but since I live in Vermont, that seems to be an option only some of the time. For instance, the bus system here is hardly statewide, and does not have routes that run everywhere you'd want to go every day of the week. Walking to where you need to go is almost a joke--most people I know work in a different town than where they live.


For instance, Tom takes a trip to Burlington every week. I had initially suggested that even though he is carpooling with our friend Mike, that they look into taking a bus. We did, and we found that even though GMTA has a commuter bus that goes from Montpelier to Burlington several times a day every day of the week, they don't have a bus that follows that route on the weekend. It's these types of problems that make finding alternative transportation a little trickier in the Green Mountain State. For readers who don't live in Vermont, let me make myself clear--we can be talking about distances of up to 30 or 40 miles--one way. People commute this distance every day, because, up until recently, that was a viable way of life for many people here. Not any longer--if you use your car.
So what's a Vermonter to do?

Well, here are some ideas that I hope will spark debate and inform conversation:



Buy a scooter. Better yet, have your boyfriend's dad give you one. A few weeks ago, Tom's dad gave us a 1982 Honda Passport with low miles and a clean maintenance history. It runs great--and gets 100 miles to the gallon! I'll be able to cut my commute gas bill down by 1/4. For those of you who don't have a really generous father-in-law to be, I suggest searching Craig's List or the local newspapers for scooters, motorcycles, or mope-heads.

Carpool. Back when I worked at People's Academy High School, I was broke. I mean eating-ramen-and-pb and j-broke. I carpooled then out of an economic necessity, and it helped a bunch. Also, if you get the right combination of people, it can be a friendship-maker: both of the ladies that I carpooled with are now invited to my wedding! Try putting up a poster at work, send a mass email, or chose from the offerings at Vermont Rideshare.

I want to ride my Bicycle...
Even if you don't live close enough to work to bike there, perhaps you live lose enough to where you do your grocery shopping, the library, or the park. Instead driving (even your scooter), take a bike. Especially in cities, it's just as speedy as a car. It takes a little getting used to if you're like me and grew up taking bike rides on lonely, not oft-traveled dirt roads, but once you do, it's kinda fun. :) Of course, you'll want to wear a helmet and make sure that the bike works well, and spiff up your hand-signal skills. There is a bike co-op in Mon
tpelier where you can buy a bike or fix up the one that you own, and Onion River Sports has a bike swap every year. Bikes are also a common item at yard sales, and of course, on Craig's List.

Work from home, if you can.
This is becoming an increasingly popular option for some people. It used to be a luxury--and now, no joke, it's becoming a necessity. It's good for the employee because they can save on a day's commuter cost, and it's good for the employer because the employee is happy. If you're in a position to do so, talk with your boss and see if you can't work
from home one day a week (of course, you've got to actually work). If this isn't a possibility, see if you could set up a vanshare with your co-workers at the company's expense.

Do a combo-deal.
Perhaps the bus will take you half of the way to where you need to go. Bring your bike with you (some of GMTA's buses have bike storage), and bike the rest of the way. Or carpool with someone in the mornings and take the bike/bus thing on the way home if you can't carpool on the way back. Walk to the carpool spot, or take your bike. Take your scooter on the days that you don't have meetings that you need the flexibility of your own car for. Take the bus to the places where it does go--increased riderships will mean more routes and more buses. I'm assuming that I don't really have to mention that walking is, of course, technically transportation (the oldest form that there is!), and if you live within walking distance of work and food and entertainment, of course you have no need to even be reading this blog. (I'm glad that you did, of course).


What I hoped that I expressed is that in Vermont, as with many other rural states, you have to think outside of the box for 'alternative' transportation. I've given you my ideas; I hope that you'll comment with other ideas if you have them. We've all had to deal with the rising gas prices--if we help each other out with what we're learning, we'll all fare much better.

In closing, it's important to call GMTA and our representatives to let them know that we've got a real growing need. We need reliable transportation that isn't car-based. We need buses, trains...hell, even a flippin' subway! We will only get what we want if we can show that there is a need, so if you have a particular route that you'd travel if there was a bus there, let them know. Advocate for yourself!

See you in the carpool lane (or at the bus stop)!

1 comment:

American Music Arts Academy said...

Huh ... Meredith and I could for sure drive the Yaris less. Instead of me driving her in to work, she could drive it in, and pick me up for lunch? Hmmm, yeah ... we could do a lot better about that. So, sorry about the electric bill thing - I have not decided to battle Phantom Power yet. One of these days I will, and I'll be sure to let you know. LOL.