Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Between the Athiests and Everyone Else



I had an interesting conversation with a friend this past weekend, which is the reason for writing this blog. They had some misunderstandings about my religious opinions that I imagine are quite common to people who don't ask questions, so I decided to clarify.

I'm an agnostic. That means that although I don't believe in the existince of a god--I don't rule out that possibility altogether. Sometimes I label myself as an athiest, because more people seem to know the term, but I am technically not. Basically, my motto is that I don't know the answer! Although I've tried many religions, none have felt quite right for the same reason--I couldn't get around the idea that, for me, an omnipotent being just felt to be a falsehood. I couldn't pray or create a ritual for a deity that I felt did not exist. A god does not exist, in my opinion. It does not seem true to me. But, hey, it might be true.

A lot of people confuse Atheisim and Agnosticism. An atheist denies even the possibility of a higher power, while an agnostic keeps that possibility open in his or her eyes.

To me, the lack of a God or gods and the lack of heaven and an afterlife makes life all the more valuable and precious. Consider: if there is no reconnection with your loved ones in heaven, you need to enjoy what you've got right now. If there is no Devil making things right by torturing your enemies, you've either got to make things right in this lifetime, or let things go. If there is no one coming out of a Lotus flower to make the world make sense, seems like it's up to us. Makes sense to me.

However, that does not mean that I feel that people with religious values are stupid or wrong. In all honesty, I feel a little jealous that they have a happy and close-knit community to go to every Sunday or Saturday or Flying Spaghetti Monster Day. I will not judge someone on their religious beliefs. I do not sneer as I drive by churches or temples or mosques or prayer circles. Do I, however, sleep in on Saturdays and Sundays? You bet.

I feel that everyone's opinion is important, and since there is absolutely no way to know who is right and who is wrong, it would be ignorant of me to condemn others for their beliefs.

Religion, in my opinion, can serve great good. (It can, also, serve great evil). However, in most of my experiences, I've noticed that the people who have become a member of a religious organization or have adopted religious beliefs have been able to make positive changes for themselves. For example, one of my uncles and his family have recently entered into a church that has taught them to be more loving and accepting of others, and to be happier as a family. I am proud of him for making that decision and for the positive steps that he and his family has taken.

I truly believe that all people with all beliefs serve a purpose in this world, and that they are all necessary. Perhaps my job as an atheist is to serve an an antidote to people who live too frequently in their religious vision--to bring them back to earth a little. Perhaps the people who are religious are to show me that there are possibilities that I haven't considered.

I don't want to be seen as a person who hates Christians or Jewish people or Muslims or any religion for the mere fact of their religion. I am not a bigot--my mind is open to possibilities. Just because my opinion is different than the majority of people in this country, does not mean that I hate them or feel uncomfortable around them. I feel that people who truly feel a calling to the ministry or to the priesthood should do so! People should follow their hearts, because that's where their truth is.

My agnostic beliefs are not about hate, or about the denial of the happiness and good that a religious following can bring. It's about being open to possibilities. It's about letting go of the idea that I can be right about religion. It's about accepting that a higher power might be beyond my ability to understand. It's about being who I am.

1 comment:

American Music Arts Academy said...

Very well put. I tend to agree with a lot of what you say in this blog. Good for you. The "Agnostic" title for sure fits what you stand for - a lot better than "Athiest" - in my opinion. Good for you. Meredith and I were actually having a good conversation about religion a few weeks ago, and it pretty much follows your blog word for word - LOL. Good blog, very good. Love you!!!